Whether you are vegan or staying healthy, you are probably pondering the question of whether purchased milk from the plant is necessarily healthy. Well, you can make the milk yourself at home in a simple process that will result in a healthy, nutritious, and delicious result, which in the end, you know the contained ingredients.
Almond milk, hazelnut milk, cashew milk, or other seeds can all be used to make delicious homemade DIY vegan milk from nuts.
Almonds recommended to soak in water for about 8 hours; not only does their taste become more delicate and delicious, but their nutritional value also increases. The soaking process causes germination action, which ensures better mineral absorption as well as easier digestion.
- 1 cups raw almonds (soak them in water-overnight (8-12 hours))
- 3-4 cups filtered water
- pinch salt
- 2-3 dates (optional )
- 1 whole vanilla bean/ vanilla extract (optional )
- Soak the almonds in water overnight (about 8 to 12 hours). For a quick-soak method, soak the almonds in boiled water for 1 hour. Rinse and drain well.
- Place drained almonds into a blender along with the filtered water – for more creamy texture used 3 cups water. Blend for 40-60 seconds.
- Place a nut milk bag/ cheese cloth over a large bowl and slowly pour the almond milk mixture into the bag.
- Using a funnel, pour into a glass jar and store in the fridge for up to 3 – 5 days.
Making creamy cashew milk at home is simple and also affordable. This raw cashew milk is so tasty it doesn’t need any kind of sweetener – however, if you want to give a little twist in the flavor – maple syrup and cinnamon powder can be added.
When you mix cashews with water, you get a light and not heavy liquid with a mild nutty taste and a delicate sweetness. Cashew milk has twice the amount of calcium in cow’s milk and has a low fat content.
- 1 cup raw cashew
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp cinammon powder (optional)
- Soak the cashews in water overnight in the refrigerator. Rinse well. The next day wash again.
- In a blender, mix the cashew with the filtered water and the rest of the ingredients for 40 -60 seconds.
- Prepare a deep bowl in advance and place the cloth bag on it. Pour the mixture into the bag and start “milking” until all the liquid comes out.
- Pour the milk into an air tight bottle and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Sesame seeds are a rich source of plant-based calcium. One glass of the sesame milk can provide up to 40% of the required Daily Value.
This milk can be used as an alternative to cow’s milk in any dish – even in coffee. The remaining dough after filtering the liquid can be added to date balls, cookies or cake.
- 1 cup sesame seeds (soaked in water for 8 hours )
- 3 cups of filtered water
- Soak the sesame seeds in plenty of water for 8 hours. Strain and rinse.
- Transfer to a blender with 3 cups of water and grind to a smooth, uniform mixture
- Line a strainer with a cheese cloth and place it over a bowl
- Tie the fabric at the top and squeeze out the remaining liquid. Pour into a large jar or glass bottle.
- The milk will be stored in the refrigerator for 3-5 days
Coconut milk is rich in good fats and anti-inflammatory nutrients. It exhibits a slight of a nutty taste, with a sour aftertaste. This simple recipe does not require overnight soaking in water or other special preparation, just a powerful blender.
- 2 cups raw coconut flakes
- 2 whole dates
- 4 cups filtered water
- Pinch salt
- Mix in a powerful blender all the ingredients for 40 seconds-minute.
- Prepare a deep bowl in advance and place the nut bag on it. Pour the mixture into the bag and start “milking” until all the liquid comes out.
- Pour the liquids into an airtight glass bottle and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.